If you’re looking for an easy dessert recipe that is a guaranteed hit every time, look no further. I’ve always loved Lemon Meringue, and I just so happened to mention this to my husband’s aunty when she said she has “The Best” meringue recipe around. I’ve made this too many times to count, and each time there are no leftovers. So, today, I share with you, the beloved secret family recipe for the worlds best lemon meringue.
2 packets of Arnott’s Nice biscuits
2 tins condensed milk
4 eggs, separated
Pinch of Salt
250ml juice of Lemon
Lemon Zest from 1 Lemon
10 tbs caster sugar
**Note, you will need the egg whites and caster sugar for the meringue – I sometimes double this to make a ‘bigger’ meringue. If you’d like to do the same you’ll need 8 egg whites and 20 tbs caster sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C (350F)
2. Using a food processor, crush the biscuits
3. Melt the butter and mix in with the crushed biscuits. Line the meringue dish wish the biscuits & butter mixture making sure you flatten it well with your fingers
4. In a mixer, combine the yolks and condensed milk. Whisk well. Add in the Lemon juice, zest and salt and mix for another 30-45 seconds
5. Pour the Lemon mixture over the biscuits
6. Bake for 10 minutes, make sure the mixture becomes a brighter yellow.
7. Meanwhile, to make the meringue, whisk the egg whites on low, slowly adding the caster sugar and increasing the mixing speed as you go until all is combined and peaks form (this usually takes me 10-12 minutes.
8. Take out the Lemon base that you’ve just baked and add the meringue mixture to the top of this. Use a spatula or spoon to create high peaks
9. Once you’re happy with how the meringue looks, pop it back in the oven for 10-12 minutes, keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn
10. Let the meringue cool for 60 minutes and then put it in the fridge overnight to set. If you don’t want to let it set overnight you can put it in the freezer for a few hours before serving.
Enjoy! This is simply one of the best, easiest, quickest lemon meringue recipes in the world – makes baking so much more fun!